A high-quality office chair is a sure-fire way to keep hard-working employees happy, comfortable, and productive. But it can be hard to navigate the world of office furniture unless you have some guidelines. Here are a few things to keep in mind while looking for the perfect chair:
- Seat Shape and Height: A good desk chair should have a fully adjustable seat to accommodate different types of human bodies and positions. An ergonomic seat must be contoured so that it distributes the weight of the body across the seat in a way that doesn’t put pressure on the thighs or base of the spine. It should slope downward at the front to reduce pressure on the thighs. The height of the seat needs to be adjustable so that the user can comfortably place the flats of the feet on the floor.
- Seat Angle: The pan of the seat should tilt backwards or forwards to accommodate various postures and positions. It should be able to lock at any tilt angle in order to maximize comfort and posture.
- Pneumatic Seat Height Adjustment: A pneumatic seat adjustor not only makes it more convenient to adjust the height of the chair, it absorbs any shock involved with sitting down or moving in the chair. It also provides a smooth 360-degree swivel that allows the body to move freely in the chair.
- Adjustable Lumbar Support: Proper lumbar support is what makes the difference between a good chair and a great chair. Maintaining the natural curvature of the lower back is what most consistently prevents back pain and pressure, thus boosting energy and productivity. Look for lumbar support that can accommodate a range of heights and weights.
- Adjustable Arms: While sitting at a desk, it is important to have armrests that can support the weight of the arms. This removes the stress and prevents pain in the muscles of the arms and neck.
The CharlieChair is a cost-efficient, high-quality office chair that does not compromise when it comes to ergonomics. It comes equipped with a contoured, padded seat that is fully adjustable via a locking tilt mechanism, pneumatic height adjustor, and seat pan depth adjustor. Its height-adjustable padded armrests are also removable. Fully adjustable lumbar support will reduce back pain and maintain the posture needed for proper circulation and movement. Its sturdy, five-legged base and dual-wheel casters mean that it will keep you and your employees happy and productive for years to come.
If you’re looking for the ideal chair to place in your company’s offices and its workstations, the CharlieChair is an excellent choice. It will seat your employees comfortably all day long allowing them to be efficient and productive throughout the work day. To learn more about renting or purchasing CharlieChairs, please call us at 888.777.3222 or 510.569.6969 or fill out the short form on the Get a Quote page and one of our knowledgeable representatives will contact you shortly.
Sitting can be harmful to your health. Long periods of sitting have been linked to numerous health problems including obesity, increased blood pressure, high blood sugar, and abnormal cholesterol levels. These conditions can increase the risk of death from cardiovascular disease and cancer. Immediately after you sit down, the electrical activity in your muscles slows, and your metabolism drops to burning only about one calorie per minute – one third of what it does if you’re walking. After just two weeks of sitting for more than six hours per day, your body increases plasma triglycerides, LDL cholesterol, and insulin resistance. Aside from all of these problems, prolonged periods of sitting can cause your butt to start to resemble the seat of your chair and even get a little, well…jello-y.
You can prevent office chair butt and help prevent the other negative side effects of prolonged sitting in the office by taking just a few steps – literally and figuratively. Following any or all of the next ten steps can help keep you healthy and avoid office chair butt.
- Get up every 60 to 90 minutes and stretch or walk around the office. Whether you’re getting a glass of water, walking to the bathroom, or even just marching in place for twenty seconds, just standing up and moving around will help boost your metabolism back up after a prolonged period of sitting.
- Stand while talking on the phone. It’s much easier to remember that you need to take a break from sitting when you make a habit of it while doing something else like talking on the phone. You can quickly adjust your office routine to avoid chair butt by standing every time you’re on the phone.
- Take the stairs to a restroom on a different floor or take the scenic route. Every bit of exercise you can get during your workday will help avoid the negative consequences of prolonged sitting. Climbing just two flights of stairs each day can result in a loss of six pounds per year!
- Don’t call, email or chat with your colleagues. Whenever possible, walk to your colleagues’ offices to converse with them in-person instead of emailing, instant messaging, or calling them. Not only will you benefit from the exercise, but also from the increased social interaction of speaking with them face to face.
- Invest in an ergonomic chair (we can certainly help you with THAT!). The chair you use can help prevent a sore rear and stress on your back and tailbone. Using a chair with good lumbar support will assist in preserving your good posture even while sitting. A chair that allows for easy adjustments as you choose different sitting positions throughout the day will help make office chair butt a thing of the past. 1Stop Office Furniture has many new and used office chairs that feature multiple adjustments to help you sit comfortably and correctly at your desk.
- Stretch your body. There are many stretching exercises you can use throughout your day to keep your rear from falling asleep and the rest of your body from getting restless or cramped. Raise your hands to the ceiling as far as you can. Bend over and touch your knees, your shins, and if you can, touch your feet or even the floor. Hold each stretch for five to ten seconds and repeat five times each. Sit in your chair with both feet flat on the floor and your back straight. Lift one knee as far as it will go while pointing your toes, and then lower your foot back to the floor and switch legs.
- Squeeze your butt. One of the easiest and least obtrusive ways to exercise at your desk is the butt squeeze. Hold a tight squeeze as long as you can, then release. Repeat five to ten times. You can even give your thighs a good workout by placing a small ball between your legs and squeezing away while you work. Your colleagues won’t see these exercises happening, but your sleek butt and toned thighs will say it all.
- Take a 10-15 minute walk during lunch. While doctors recommend getting at least 30 minutes of cardiovascular per day, you can get half of that done during your lunch break by picking a nearby mall, park or other walk-able location for your lunch break. You can even eat while you walk if your lunch is portable.
- Put your legs in motion while sitting. Just alternating between fully extended legs and legs held close to your chair throughout the day can help improve your health situation during prolonged sitting. You can improve this further with leg circles by extending one leg and slowly making small circles in one direction, gradually making the circles larger, then switch directions and make the circles smaller. Repeat with the other leg.
- Set an hourly alarm to remind you to stand. If you have trouble remembering to move about during your workday, make use of today’s most common office equipment, your computer. Setting up the Windows Task Scheduler or the OS X clock’s “Announce the time” feature, your computer will remind you to take a break and start moving.
Introducing extra movement into your office workday can be made even easier by introducing these tips to your co-workers and committing to exercise at work together. Any or all of these steps can help you improve your overall health and reduce the risk of office chair butt. (And don’t forget the importance of good quality ergonomic chairs.)
- What do we need?
- How much can we spend?
Most companies have large technology budgets, ensuring their employees have good, stable computer and phone systems to use in order to remain productive. Unfortunately, most companies choose to invest very little in quality seating.
It is important for businesses to invest in good office chairs without breaking the budget. An office chair can mean the difference between employees being productive or being distracted by back pain and muscle fatigue. What is under you is just as important as what is in front of you as you carry out your work duties.
Chairs like the CharlieChair, with thickly padded and contoured seats, adjustable lumbar support, 5 paddles to adjust the seat and back to your satisfaction, and height-adjustable arms help to maximize comfort and productivity in an office environment.
Did you know?
- The lumbar region of the spine has five vertebrae, making up the strongest, most mobile parts of the spinal column, vital for strength, rotation and flexibility.
- Lumbar support helps maintain a normal healthy curve to this area of your spine and provides support for the surrounding muscle, reducing stress on the spine and lowering the risk of lower back pain.
Margo Fraser, executive director of the Association of Canadian Ergonomists advises office workers to change position throughout the day in order to shift muscle load and prevent over-stressing caused by staying locked in the same position all day. “A lot of people will set their chair and then assume they should never touch it again, when in fact we want them to be making small adjustments throughout the day.”
Busy executives and employees alike cannot afford to waste time tinkering about with their chair’s adjustment or worrying about whether it will maintain a high level of comfort through every work day. Office seating like the CharlieChair is available at office superstore prices, while delivering on easy adjustability that will stay exactly how you want it, while still being easy to adjust whenever you need a change.
Furnishing your office with quality chairs isn’t just another expense. It is an investment that will pay off through increased productivity, employee satisfaction and improved health. High-quality office chairs will directly benefit your finances, eliminating wasted time repairing or returning a faulty product and preventing you from having to replace office chairs on a regular basis.
With pneumatic seat height adjustment, an adjustable-depth seat, locking tilt mechanism and heavy-duty dual wheel casters, the CharlieChair provides needed quality, comfort, consistency and posture versatility at a price that won’t break the office budget.
No business can afford to put time, energy and money toward office chairs that don’t fit today’s office lifestyle with both comfort and efficiency in mind. 1 Stop Office Furniture has a wide selection of office furniture including high quality chairs like the CharlieChair, designed for maximum adaptability and ergonomic comfort at affordable prices.
If you’d like to learn more about the CharlieChair, please click here – thanks!